So you think the default windows 7 bootup animation ain’t pretty enough? Well, you can change it! Here’s how.
Caution: Backup bootres.dll first!
– First, Use ResHack with %windir%\system32\bootres.dll file
– Extract the RCData resource.
– So you have two files, one *.rc and another one *.bin
– Rename the file *.bin into *.wim (not win!!)
– Use 7zip to extract your *.wim file
– In the extracted files you have an xml file which describe the second file which is the boot logon bitmap animation!!!
– Now you can modify the logon animation! But make sure you know what you’re doing while editing the xml description file!
After modifications and saving the xml, follow the procedures above inversely, as in:
– zip the package into wim using 7zip
– rename *.wim to *.bin
– use reshack to rebuild the resources + save it to create your new bootres.dll
JOHN MARSHALL says
What do I have edit in the xml file? if I just put my images in activity file? John
Hey man… My bootres.dll have ONE file only inside RCData!!!
i’m stuck here
-> zip the package into wim using 7zip
is cant put my files in the wim file :S
please help me
and to Jhonny
after extracting the file from your bootres.dll with reshack you will have 2 files
Use Gimage.exe support (.wim)
John Marshall says
Isn’t that file digitally signed? John
I’m Running Windows 7 Home Premium and I did what you said above and did not find a file called “bootres.dll” where you said it would be. I even unhid protected system files and still didnt see it. What now?