Use Notepad++ to remove duplicate lines/records from any text files. You can even sort the results alphabetically. I’ve previously used Excel to do this (in fact, I think most people use Excel) but this can be easily done in Notepad++ as well.
1. Make sure that TextFX > TextFx Tools have the following 2 settings checked as shown below:
2. Select all (CTRL+A) your text where there are duplicate lines to be removed. Goto TextFX > TextFx Tools and choose either
– sort line case sensitive OR
– sort line case insensitive
3. This is just another useful feature of Notepad++. Also check out the following posts about other useful tips for Notepad++:
Compare 2 text documents with notepad++
Tidy Up + Reindent XML files with notepad++
Edit FTP Files with notepad++
Zen Coding with Notepad++
Where is the command to delete dupes ????
Did you follow step 1 and step 2 above?
raoul bitenbois says
Nice, more easy than Excel. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks a lot!!! You’re a life saver!
great tips, you should add “.. using plugins” at the end of the title, so common user not confused. thanks
Alexey Pimenov says
Awesome, man! Thank you very much. I was needed to check array 18 000 000 elems for duplicates, I just save it to file and use dat plugin 🙂 Only 5 seconds and it’s ready!
Great, it works!
Thanks! This saved me a lot of time.